PLATTEVILLE, Wis. - The University of Wisconsin-Platteville men's basketball team (2-0) edged out Viterbo (0-1) 70-67 on Friday night on Bo Ryan Court. The Pioneers led by 21 points in the second half and the V-Hawks rallied to within one point with 4:31 remaining in the game. The Pioneers knocked down seven of their ten free throw attempts in the final minutes to clinch the win.
- The V-Hawks took an early 8-3 lead in the first three minutes of the game before the Pioneers worked their way back to take a 14-13 lead with 13:22 remaining in the first half.
- The Pioneers trailed 18-20 with seven minutes remaining but finished the half on a 27-5 run to go into halftime with a 40-25 lead.
- Sophomore Blake McCann shot 5-of-6 from the field, 3-of-3 on three pointers and scored all 13 of his points in the first half.
- The Pioneers shot 46.9% from the field and held the V-Hawks to 36%.
- Viterbo's Tyree Young scored 20 of his 22 points in the second half to lead the V-Hawks to within one point with 4:31 remaining.
- Senior Carter Voelker scored nine of his 11 points in the second half which included five free throws in the final three minutes.
- The Pioneers had 12 of their 16 turnovers in the second half.
- The Pioneers were outshot 50% to 42.9% from the field but out-rebounded the V-Hawks 17-11 in the half.
- UW-Platteville improved to 2-0 on the season.
- The V-Hawks fell to 0-1 on the season.
- The Pioneers dominated the glass with a 37-22 advantage on rebounds.
- Along with Voelker and McCann, juniors Justin Stovall (11) and Quentin Shields (11) also finished with double digit points.
- Shields added seven rebounds and led the Pioneers with five assists.
- Junior Justin Fox led the team with eight rebounds and added four points.
- UW-Platteville finished 45.3% (24-of-53) from the field and shot 70% (14-of-20) from the free throw line.
- The Pioneer reserves outscored the V-Hawks' reserves 23-11.
- The Pioneers will return to action on Bo Ryan Court against Wash U on Saturday, Nov. 16. Game time is set for 7 p.m.